POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life's little problems : Re: Life's little problems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Life's little problems
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jun 2010 16:12:46
Message: <4c0d52be@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:05:02 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> Interesting, I didn't know that - but that would seem to answer the
>> question about you posting a clip.  If the audio infringes, you may end
>> up with it muted, in which case just mention the name of the song and
>> artist somewhere, and we can imagine. :-)
>
> They have a system to automatically mute content that shouldn't be up
> there. That doesn't make it OK to put it up though. It's still illegal,
> they can still sue you, and it's still not funny.

Anyone can sue anyone.  I can sue you for wearing your hair funny.
Doesn't mean I can win.

I never claimed it was *funny*, but take a look at the videos that come
back with the search "dance video" and tell me how many have copyrighted
songs in them.  That's just a sample; I doubt any of those people have
been *sued* by RIAA or IFPI.  Usually one gets a warning first and is
given a chance to comply.  The ones that tend to draw attention are the
popular videos - do you think your video is likely to be in the top 10?
Top 100?  Top 1000?

Yes, it's a risk - and as I said, I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like
posting a video of doing some dancing is likely to be considered pretty
harmless, *especially* if the audio quality isn't that good - for
example, if the audio is being played through a pair of cheap speakers
that are then recorded in the audio.  If it were me, I'd be inclined to
do that rather than to dub the track directly into the audio track in the
video posted.  If all the viewer can hear is the 'thud thud' of the beat,
chances are nobody will identify the song clearly enough to be able to
make a case.

But do whatever you want - if you think it's too risky, then don't.  I'm
not giving you legal advice or telling you to do something you don't want
to, I'm telling you my take on your concerns.  You're free to disagree
and disregard any advice given or opinions expressed.

Jim